Dr. Grace Walker, physical and occupational therapist and nutritionist, wants you to know that over-the-counter medication is not the only solution to your headaches. For many people the road to headache relief has only been through over-the-counter medication. Little do they know, there are solutions that may relieve you from chronic headaches LONG TERM.
We wrote down the six steps to headache relief:
- Drink water– Staying hydrated is key to proper brain function and the removal of waste from your body. Things like coffee, tea and soda cause your body to eliminate water and can lead to dehydration. When you are dehydrated, waste and toxins cannot be properly expelled leading to an increased vulnerability to a headache.
- Breathe– Stress not only causes unnecessary tension in your body but can cause you to take shallow breaths. This could lead to an excess of carbon dioxide in your blood which can throw off the pH of you blood along with other chemical processes in your body. Take a few moments throughout the day to focus on breathing through your diaphgram.
- Posture– The average head weighs around 10-12 pounds when in proper alignment with your neck. With poor posture, your head leans forward off balanced with its base of support causing up to 60 pounds of strain on your neck muscles. This, leads to excessive strain on your neck, back and shoulders which could be a major cause in your headaches.
- Strengthen your body– Weak back muscles are usually the cause to poor posture and force your body to compensate in other areas such as your neck, making you prone to headaches. Strengthen these weakened areas to improve your posture and reduce the chances of headaches.
- Stretch it out- Sitting at a desk all day or driving a car, the tendency for many people is to slouch forward. This is what causes our back muscles to weaken and our chest and neck muscles to tighten up. While building strength in our back it is important to also stretch and relax your chest and neck. The muscles in these areas can hold a lot of tension and we can help release this by stretching for a couple of minutes throughout the day.
- See a physical therapist– Physical therapists are trained to find the root cause of your headaches. Therapists can examine posture, muscular imbalances and correct improper alignment of the spine. They can also educate you on how to properly fix these problems at home and give you information that can help you for life!
At Walker Physical Therapy and Pain Center we have EXPERT physical therapists who can help you identify any imbalances you may have and how to properly train your body! We provide personalized programs for each patient to provide results that are tailored to your needs in a fun and healing environment. Call Walker Physical Therapy & Pain Center to schedule an appointment with an expert and caring physical therapist!
1111 W. Town & Country Rd. Ste. 1
Orange, CA 92868by