“Headaches are often the result of pain from the upper cervical extensor muscles” Says Grace Walker, physical & occupational therapist and nutritionist.
Stress is often a component of this. When a person undergoes stress, he/she tends to tense his/her body into a poor posture; a head forward position adopted with chin jutting and upper cervical extension. This position is also seen in most people who have jobs that require them to sit down for long periods of time. The associated upper cervical muscles tighten, trigger points can be palpated and referred pain may be experienced behind the eyes and/or in the occipital, frontal or temporal areas.
Walker Physical Therapy & Pain Center’s program for headaches includes:
- Strengthening of the scapular muscles to support the head and neck
- Soft tissue and joint mobilization
- Pressure Point Release to occipital, sub occipital, upper trapezei, and levator scapulae muscles
- Modalities for pain relief including the 830MLaser and ice
- A Comprehensive home exercise program
Call Walker Physical Therapy & Pain Center to schedule an appointment with an expert physical therapist!
1111 W. Town & Country Rd. Ste.1
Orange, CA 92868by