Don’t Let Falls Get You Down
It can happen in the blink of an eye. One minute you’re walking to the kitchen to grab a glass of water, the next minute you wake up in a hospital bed. Falls are the leading cause of all non-fatal injuries and the most common reason for visits in the emergency room. Did you know one in five falls leads to a significant injury, such as broken wrists, hips, legs, arms, and head traumas?
Dr. Grace Walker, physical and occupational therapist and nutritionist, is an advocate that “falling isn’t a normal part of aging”.
- Protect your head – Falls are the #1 cause of traumatic brain injury in the US.
- Relax – Although its natural to tense up, try to stay loose to help cushion the fall.
- Butt first – To lessen the impact of your fall, try to land on the fleshier parts of your body (like your butt) and roll with the fall.
- Eliminate clutter – Ensure you have always have a clear pathway when walking at home.
- Check your eyes and meds – Don’t forget to see the optometrist!
- Build your balance – Developing core strength and flexibility through exercise or physical therapy.
At Walker Physical Therapy and Pain Center, we provide hands on, personalized care for balance therapy. Our team of experts are trained to lead you in one-on-one balance exercises to fit your specific needs.
Call us to schedule an appointment! (714)997-5518
1111 W Town and Country Road Ste 1
Orange, CA 92868by